Agenda for January 17, 2017 ALTO board teleconference.

  1. Review action items. [Frederick leads discussion]
  2. Review registration of MIME type for ALTO. See issue 40. [Jean Philippe leads discussion.]
  3. Review results of comments and voting on the Glyphs change request solution (issue 26). [Joachim leads discussion.]
  4. Continuing discussion about the terms of use for ALTO (see issue 37). Nate reports on whether the Library of Congress will approve the ALTO board's choice of Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0). Clemens reports on his discussion with Armin Talke, legal expert at Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin. [Nate, Clemens, and Frederick lead discussion]
  5. Review collaboration with the Newspapers Interest Group of the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) and with the IFLA News Media section on an ALTO fragment identifier API. [Jean Philippe and Frederick lead discussion]
  6. Continue discussion of ALTO fragment idenfitifier API (issue 33) and IIIF's change request (issue 40). [Jean Philippe and Clemenslead discussion.]
  7. Short report on processing history change requests if needs be. At the last board meeting, Clemens guessed that there would only be something substantive about processing history to discuss 2 board meetings hence. See issue 39. [Clemens leads discussion]

View all open action items here.

Attending members


Forgot to record the first minutes of meeting so we start with the registration of MIME type for ALTO.

The board agreed to register ALTO as a MIME with IETF. He will adapt a similar IEFT draft for another MIME type for ALTO. Jukka agreed to review Jean Philippe's use of the English language as needed.

No discussion of the Glyphs change request because Joachim was meeting at his son's school.

An abbreviated discussion of the board's proposed use of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) for ALTO XML. Joachim reported by email the following wrt CC BY-SA 4.0 for ALTO XML:

I have verified the contractual topic regarding copyright for ALTO and to be safe we at CCS are clarifying with the 4 authors if they all agree to the change to CC BY-SA 4.0, as a former copyright statement was removed on handover to the Library of Congress as demanded. But I have no written agreement of all parties of METAe partnership available. So I propose to leave this topic pending till next call.

A (very) short review of collaboration with the Newspapers Interest Group of the IIIF. It requests that the ALTO board register a MIME type for ALTO.

Jean Philippe asks about a face-to-face meeting for the ALTO board in conjunction with a conference. Frederick mentioned several conferences; he will create a Doodle poll for board members to show their preferences for conference.